Friday, January 14, 2011

My day begins with the chime of bells rising up from the village church steeple far below our hillside Sanctuary. I’m not a morning person but these sounds of glad tidings always manage to embed peace within my heart even before the prompting of praise rises up and onto my face in more obvious indication that it is well with my soul…


Smiling, in the morning, is not one of my strong suits. But the daily hymn which follows the singular chime and its count of “seven” never fails to transform my mood and draw my attention to a Creator so adored and sought after that thousands of these “love poems” have been scripted to him throughout the ages.

If I know the words, I sing along. And I imagine an entire community whose hearts are humming with me even if their minds aren’t consciously aware of what their spirits have already defined. We are, after all, created to seek Him whether we like it or not.

Composed, in gladness and grief and trial and triumph, the songs of “praise in the midst” bend me to a softer way of being so that body, mind, and spirit are more pliable, more usable for what the day may bring.

At noon, yesterday, the hymn that follows rang from the steeple. And even though it was written more than 300 years ago its themes are relevant and revelational still. No matter your belief let this exquisite expression of the human condition soothe your soul.


(Thank you, dear Holly, for sharing the words…)

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty

________________________________________

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!

O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!

All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near;

Praise Him in glad adoration.



Praise to the Lord, Who over all things so wondrously reigneth,

Shelters thee under His wings, yea, so gently sustaineth!

Hast thou not seen how thy desires ever have been

Granted in what He ordaineth?



Praise to the Lord, Who hath fearfully, wondrously, made thee;

Health hath vouchsafed and, when heedlessly falling, hath stayed thee.

What need or grief ever hath failed of relief?

Wings of His mercy did shade thee.



Praise to the Lord, Who doth prosper thy work and defend thee;

Surely His goodness and mercy here daily attend thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment